Lots of people make “resolutions” for January – starting the gym or a new diet… we’ve found once you call them “resolutions” you don’t tend to stick to them much..
So instead we’re just trying to change our mindset slightly to help beat the January blues by eating healthier and being more mindful of what we put into our bodies..
For a delicious yet very simple meal get started with a squash or pumpkin, here’s one of our fave’s..
1. Roast off some pumpkin or squash (scrub the skins first then pop in the oven whole and roast at 180 degrees for between 45-60 minutes for an average sized squash).
2. Take the roasted squash and halve, remove the seeds with a large spoon then cut into wedges. (You can do this first step in advance so you have ready roasted pumpkin in the fridge but I do like there to be a bit of warmth left in the pumpkin so bring it up to room temperature if you have time)
3. If the skin is soft enough it is fine to eat it (especially a Butternut Squash) so no need to peel. Layer the wedges on top of a mixed baby leaf salad.
4. Finally crumble over some Goat’s milk cheese and drizzle with your favourite dressing.
If you like, you could scatter over some toasted pumpkin seeds which will add another texture.
This as a meal in itself has lots of wonderful health benefits:
* Heart Healthy Magnesium.
* Zinc for Immune Support.
* Plant-Based Omega-3 Fats.
* Prostate Health.
* Anti-Diabetic Effects.
* Benefits for Postmenopausal Women.
* Heart and Liver Health.
* Tryptophan for Restful Sleep
* Anti-inflammatory benefits